Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Roasted tomato, red bell pepper and garlic soup


INGREDIENTS:

4 tomatoes - peeled, seeded and diced
4 cups tomato juice
14 leaves fresh basil
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1/2 cup butter
salt and pepper to taste
This makes about 4 servings. I like to double it and have a little leftover for me tomorrow!

DIRECTIONS
Place tomatoes and juice in a stock pot over medium heat. Simmer for 30 minutes. Puree the tomato mixture along with the basil leaves, and return the puree to the stock pot.
Place the pot over medium heat, and stir in the heavy cream and butter. Season with salt and pepper. Heat, stirring until the butter is melted. Do not boil.

I have made this perfect soup a couple of times. First time, straight as the recipie calls-and trust me, it is fabulous that way. It reminds me of one of those superb restaraunt style soups, the kind you think sound really good and then they end up being GREAT! I wanted a little meat and veggies in it this last time that I made it. I started by roasting all of my tomatoes (slice in half length-wise and set on pan cut side up. drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt), a red bell pepper and 5 cloves of garlic. Broil for about 15 minutes or until the skin is darkened, place the red bell in a paper bag for about 10-15 minutes and the skin will fall off. I ground up some sausage in a skillet put it in the slow cooker. Then I cooked an onion, and finely chopped green cabbage in the sausage drippings. I pured the veggies with the tomatoes and added them to my slow cooker. Also, I used V8 juice instead of tomato juice because I was going with the "veggie" them. I always use the heavy cream and real butter, mostly because it tastes so amazing. Once again, it turned out great!I serve this with a loaf of french bread sliced length-wise. Spread with a good pesto sauce on both open faces. Lay with sliced tomatoes and then sprinkle with mozzerella. Broil on low for 8 minutes or until cheese and edges are nice and brown. Hope this helps :)

No comments: